The whole story...
Moreland Notre Dame Academy began as a memorial by Margaret Moreland for her daughter Josephine. Shortly before her untimely death at age 19, Josephine was encouraging her mother to use her influence in the community to improve the education of a growing population. Mrs. Moreland contracted in 1899 with W.H. Weeks to design a new boarding school for girls to be run by the Catholic Nuns of Notre Dame. Josephine was at the College of Notre Dame at the time of her death and the nuns accepted the offer of a new school in her honor. This grand first structure faced Main Street. It was damaged in a fire caused by the 1906 earthquake but repaired and improved in short order.
Until 1920, boys were accepted in grades one through four and were taught separately in the Boys’ School. After 1920, boys were accepted in grades five through eight. Boys and girls continued to be taught separately until about 1940. Growing enrollment necessitated the addition of more classrooms. In 1941, an initial $40,000 was raised to begin building an entirely new school. This second school building was constructed in 1942 on Brennan Street and was used to house the elementary classrooms.
The last graduation for Moreland Notre Dame High School in 1957 coincided with the opening of the new Mora Catholic High School. The boarding school also closed at this time and Moreland became a primary-grade private day school. In 1963, during another campus expansion, the elaborate 1899 William Weeks portion of the school was demolished and an ambitious fund raising drive was begun through the efforts of A.L. and Mitch Resetar to build a new convent and classrooms. Today the 1941 classrooms remain in the midst of several 1960s era structures.
The Watsonville fourth of July Parade 1959